A dental implant is a cylindrical and/or tapered post, usually made of titanium, that serves as a substitute for the tooth root.
Dental implants are often the best treatment for missing teeth when you use an experienced implant dentist.
When a damaged or decayed tooth is removed, both the visible part of the tooth, called the crown, and the root are lost.
A dental implant is placed in the jawbone so that it can fuse with your natural bone and become a strong and sturdy foundation for replacement teeth. Implants can be used to replace an individual tooth or for an implant-supported bridge or denture containing multiple teeth.
Dental implants are the closest you can get to healthy, natural teeth. They will allow you to confidently eat, smile, laugh, talk, play and enjoy all of your regular activities of everyday life without worrying about your teeth.
Dental implants are sophisticated devices, so it is important that you ask this question of any dentist offering to do your implant: "Are you an AAID credentialed implant dentist?" An AAID credentialed implant dentist has proven levels of education, skills and experience.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Implants offer firm support to man-made teeth. Dentures, bridges or single teeth attached to the implants won't slip or shift in your mouth-a very important benefit when eating and speaking.
- This secure fit also helps man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures.
- Some people may find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than dentures that do not use implants.
- Where teeth are missing, dental implants also help keep the jawbone from shrinking.
- Implants are a good value, because they can last a lifetime with good care.